Tuesday 26 December 2017

Chinese activist Wu Gan sentenced to 8 years of imprisonment for subversion

Chinese human rights activist, Wu Gan, Super Vulgar Butcher, Wu

China's prominent human rights activist Wu Gan, who is also known as Super Vulgar Butcher, was sentenced to eight years of imprisonment for subversion.

The court in Tianjin said he was "dissatisfied with the current system of governance, and that gradually produced thoughts of subverting state power."

He "spread fake information" and "insulted others online," the court alleged.

44-year-old Wu, who was arrested more than two years ago as part of a sweeping crackdown on human rights lawyers and activists is the latest campaigner to be jailed. The crackdown saw nearly 250 people questioned or detained by authorities, reported the Guardian.

Convicting Wu, the court in Tianjin said, "Wu Gan has long used information networks to spread a great deal of rhetoric and to attack state power and the system established by the constitution."

"[They] use 'defending rights' and 'performance arts' as a disguise. to defame state institutions and attack the national system set by the constitution," the court said, in a verdict posted online on Tuesday.

Before his trial, Wu predicted a harsh sentencing for refusing to cooperate with the authorities.

Predicting a harsh sentencing for himself, Wu, ahead of his trial in August, in a statement released through his lawyers, said, "I will be convicted not because I am really guilty, but because of my refusal to accept a government-appointed lawyer, plead guilty in a televised propaganda confession, and for exposing torture, mistreatment and violence and prosecutorial misconduct.
READ MORE

1 comment:

  1. Hello Everybody,
    My name is Mrs Sharon Sim. I live in Singapore and i am a happy woman today? and i told my self that any lender that rescue my family from our poor situation, i will refer any person that is looking for loan to him, he gave me happiness to me and my family, i was in need of a loan of $250,000.00 to start my life all over as i am a single mother with 3 kids I met this honest and GOD fearing man loan lender that help me with a loan of $250,000.00 SG. Dollar, he is a GOD fearing man, if you are in need of loan and you will pay back the loan please contact him tell him that is Mrs Sharon, that refer you to him. contact Dr Purva Pius,via email:(urgentloan22@gmail.com) Thank you.

    ReplyDelete