Showing posts with label PAKISTAN ARMY. Show all posts
Showing posts with label PAKISTAN ARMY. Show all posts

Friday, 24 November 2017

Pervez Musharraf: The Pakistani General who wouldn't go away

Ajmal Kasab, Pervez Musharraf, Kulbhushan Jadhav

Along stretches of highway and railway tracks across Pakistan, walls bear a familiar inscription: Mard kabhi boorha nahin hota, a man never grows old. It’s an advert by quacks and herbalists peddling eternal virility to aging Pakistani men. It would appear that Pakistan’s former military leader Gen. Pervez Musharraf has taken this roadside assurance too seriously.

Nine years after his ouster from the presidency, and many humiliating attempts to reclaim political relevance later, he is at it again. In a recent interview with Sky News, he said that if he could return to power now he would have more legitimacy than the first time around because back then some people thought he was a dictator. He said this with a straight face.

Musharraf’s dreams are as hopeless as the claims of the roadside quacks, but that doesn’t stop him from coming up with elaborate plans to bring them about. Despite what the aphrodisiac sellers say, men do get old, and they don’t get any wiser with age.

Back in his day, Musharraf sold himself to the world as the last man standing between the Taliban and Western civilization. In the bargain, he achieved everything that a developing country’s military dictator could want: a trip to Camp David, a house in Dubai, a flat in central London, a book deal, his own TV show. You would think that after all that, he would retire, play golf and occasionally show up on the after-dinner lecture circuit. But earlier this month he announced the creation of a 23-party political alliance and appointed himself its chairman.

Many of those parties were previously unheard-of, and some of the ones that were known announced that they had nothing to do with Musharraf or his grand alliance. Still, within days Musharraf was back on TV reminiscing about his glorious rule and pitching himself as a savior-in-waiting — the man who would deliver Pakistan from its current political crisis, caused by Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif’s disqualification from office on corruption charges.
READ MORE

Wednesday, 23 August 2017

Don't seek material or money, treat us with respect: Pak Army chief to US

Pakistan Army Chief General Qamar Bajwa

Pakistan is not seeking material or financial help from the US, but Washington must trust and treat it with respect, Army chief General Qamar Javed Bajwa on Wednesday told the US envoy in Islamabad, a day after President Trump asked Islamabad to stop providing safe havens to terrorists.

While announcing America's new Afghanistan and South Asia policy — which calls for greater US troop deployment and Indian involvement in Afghanistan — Trump had hit out at Pakistan for offering sanctuaries to "agents of chaos."

The US Ambassador David Hale met General Bajwa at the Army's Headquarters in Rawalpindi, where the latter was briefed on the US's new South Asia policy announced by President Trump, according to a statement issued by the Inter-Services Public Relations (ISPR) — the Pakistani military's media wing.

"We can no longer be silent about Pakistan's safe havens for terrorist organisations," the US president had said.
READ MORE

Wednesday, 19 July 2017

Pak Army gets 50 hand-held explosive detectors from US to check terrorism

Pakistan. Photo: Reuters

The US has provided more than 50 sophisticated hand-held explosive detectors to Pakistan Army to combat terrorism, the American embassy said here today.

The Fido X3 explosives detectors were provided by the embassy's Office of the Defense Representative - Pakistan (ODRP) under a $128 million counter-explosive initiative.

"The Fido is a sophisticated hand-held device that will allow Pakistani soldiers determine in less than ten seconds whether an item is composed of explosives," the embassy said in a statement.

It said that new Fidos will be added to those previously provided to the Pakistan army, currently used in various counter-terrorism operations throughout the country, helping to seize explosives and save lives.

"This delivery from the US government provides world- class technology to the Pakistan Army. A primary way to stop a bomb is to catch the bomb maker or attacker before he puts the device in position. This advanced system improves on previous versions used to great effect by the Pakistan Army to safeguard the nation," said Brigadier General Kenneth Ekman, Chief of the US Embassy's ODRP.

He said the provision of equipment highlighted the US' partnership with the Pakistan Army in its ongoing efforts to combat terrorism, particularly in the Pakistan-Afghanistan border region.

The shipment of Fido devices is part of an ongoing $128 million initiative funded by the US government to assist the Pakistan Army in defeating illegal explosives, the embassy said in a statement.
READ MORE

Thursday, 11 May 2017

Pakistan Army, ISI pushing Sindh towards civil war: Altaf Hussain

Photo: Shutterstock

Pakistan's army and spy agency Inter-Services Intelligence (ISI) are pushing Sindh province towards a civil war, the head of the country's fourth largest party has alleged and sought the intervention of the United Nations (UN) and the international community.

In a audio message, the Muttahida Qaumi Movement (MQM) chief Altaf Hussain alleged that Pakistan Army and ISI have "virtually taken control" of all Pakistan including Khyber- Pakhtunkhwa, Sindh and all Balochistan.

"They have killed hundreds and thousands of innocent Mohajir Balochs and Pashtoons who raised their voice against Punjabi army," London-based Hussain said in the message.

"Now the the world community is realising that Pakistani intelligence agency, ISI has been harbouring the most wanted terrorists including Osama bin Laden, Mullah Omer and Mullah Akhter Mansoor in Pakistan," he said.

He asked "the UN Secretary General and the international community to intervene and use their offices to stop the bloodshed of Mohajirs, Balochs and Pashtoons" in Pakistan.

Hussain said Pakistan Army and ISI are pushing Karachi, Hyderabad and urban centers of Sindh towards a civil war.

"The patience of Mohajir Nation is cutting loose as more than 20,000 Mohajirs have been extra judicially killed in army-led operations which continues since 1992," he said.

Referring to the recent Iranian statement warning Pakistan for safe havens of Taliban, jihadi groups, Hussain said Islamabad is getting isolated by every passing day in the world community.
READ MORE

Wednesday, 3 May 2017

India says it has enough proof to show Pak Army regulars mutilated soldiers

Wife Paramjit, son Sahildeep and daughters Khushdeep (L) and Simardeep of late Naib Subedar Paramjit Singh wait for arrival of his mortal remains at their village Vain Poin, Amritsar. He was killed by Pak Army and his body was mutilated. Photo: PTI

India said on Wednesday that it has "sufficient evidence" to show that mutilation of two Indian soldiers was carried out by Pakistan army regulars and that Islamabad has been asked to take action against its army commanders for the incident.

India considers the mutilation of Indian soldiers "a strong act of provocation", Ministry of External Affairs Spokesperson Gopal Baglay said.

He also said blood samples collected from the site in Krishna Ghati sector along the Line of Control (LoC) matches with the blood of the two Indian security personnel.

Asserting that the government has "sufficient evidence" that Pakistan Army was involved in the mutilation of Indian soldiers, he said the "blood trail" shows that the perpetrators who entered the Indian side from Pakistan- occupied-Kashmir (PoK), returned from where they came from.

Responding to a series of questions on the issue, he said Pakistan High Commissioner Abdul Basit, who was summoned by Foreign Secretary S Jaishankar, denied that Indian soldiers were mutilated.

Basit said he will convey the "content of the demarche" to his government, according to Baglay.
READ MORE

Saturday, 18 March 2017

Pakistan army claims to have killed 30 terrorists, says 9 soldiers martyred

A file image of Pakistan militarymen

More than 30 terrorists and nine security personnel have been killed in Pakistan since the army launched a major operation last month, the military said on Friday.

The military announced on February 22 the start of the countrywide operation codenamed "Radd-ul-Fasaad" (Reject Discord) after a series of terrorist attacks killed over 100 people in the country.

According to the army's Inter-Service Public Relations, the security forces also foiled a number of terrorist attacks during the operation, which still continues across the country.

Nine security personnel have lost their lives in the operation.

In one of the major raids, five terrorist were killed on March 7 when they were planning to attack a judicial complex in Swabi, a district in northwestern Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa province.

The intelligence-based operation targeted militant sleeper cells which were using their hideouts to facilitate bombers for terrorist attacks.

Army spokesman Major Gen Asif Ghafoor said in a statement that the operation was aimed at "indiscriminately eliminating residual and latent threat of terrorism, consolidating gains of operations made thus far and further ensuring security of the borders." (READ MORE)