Showing posts with label TERROR ATTACK. Show all posts
Showing posts with label TERROR ATTACK. Show all posts

Tuesday, 4 September 2018

Hyderabad twin blasts case: 2 Indian Mujahideen operatives convicted

court, law, order, supreme court

Two operatives of banned terror outfit Indian Mujahideen have been convicted by a Hyderabad court for the 2007 Hyderabad twin blasts that claimed 44 lives.

Second Additional Metropolitan Sessions Judge T Srinivas Rao acquitted two others, Farooq Sharfuddin Tarkash and Mohammed Sadiq Israr Ahmed Shaik, in the case.

The quantum of sentence for the convicted Indian Mujahideen operatives, Aneeq Shafique Sayeed and Mohammed Akbar Ismail, will be announced next Monday.

The court is also expected to pronounce its judgement on Tarik Anjum, charged with giving shelter to the accused after the blasts, on Monday.

The Counter Intelligence wing of the Telangana Police had investigated the case and arrested the five accused.

Saturday, 19 August 2017

Barcelona attack: Police hunt terror suspect amid fears of more strikes

Barcelona attack, Van attack

A huge manhunt is underway across Europe for at least one suspect still at large after plotting Spain's terrorist attacks in which 14 people were killed and hundreds were injured.

The police are now hunting for Moroccan-born Younes Abouyaaqoub, said to be at the centre of the investigation into the Thursday massacre in which a van driven by terrorists ploughed into a crowd in Barcelona's Las Ramblas boulevard killing 13 civilians and injuring 13 people, the Telegraph reported.

Moussa Oukabir, the 18-year-old who was previously reported as the key suspect in Barcelona attack, was one of five men shot dead by police in a second terror attack in the coastal town of Cambrils, authorities said on Friday night.

Oukabir was killed along with terrorists Said Aallaa and Mohamed Hycham in the Cambrils attack that left one woman dead and five others injured after the men drove into pedestrians.

The other two terrorists killed in the attack are yet to be identified.

Police said that the suspects in the double attacks originally planned to use explosive devices to wreak greater devastation but were apparently thwarted because their materials detonated prematurely.
READ MORE

Tuesday, 1 August 2017

Suicide blast at mosque kills 20, injures 60 others in Afghanistan's Herat

Herat suicide attack, Afghanistan

A suicide bomber and a gunman killed at least 29 people and wounded 63 at a packed Shiite mosque in Afghanistan's main western city of Herat on Tuesday night, the latest attack to highlight the country's deteriorating security situation.

The assault on the Jawadya mosque in Herat, which is close to Afghanistan's border with Iran, came a day after the Islamic State group claimed a deadly attack on the Iraqi embassy in Kabul.

The Herat attack was the latest in a series of assaults on Afghanistan's minority Shiite population.

"The death toll has risen to 29 killed and 63 wounded. Some wounded are in a critical condition so the toll may go up," hospital spokesman Rafeeq Shirzai told AFP.

Herat police spokesman Abdul Ahad Walizada said the assault happened around 8:00 pm (local time) when "a terrorist attack was carried out on a (Shiite) mosque in the third security district of Herat city".

"Based on our initial information two terrorists were involved, one of them wearing a suicide vest who detonated himself while the second one was armed with a rifle. They are both dead," he added.
READ MORE

Saturday, 10 June 2017

Five Islamic State terrorists held in Pakistan, explosives recovered

Flickr

Five Islamic State terrorists planning a major terror attack in Pakistan have been arrested and a huge cache of explosives recovered from them in Punjab province, officials said on Sunday.

The militants were planning to attack sensitive installations in Sialkot district, about 180 km from Lahore.

They have been booked under the anti-terrorism act.

The Counter Terrorism Department (CTD) of Punjab police arrested them yesterday during a raid in Sialkot.

Abdul Wahab, Behzad Ali, Shahzaib Zafar, Waqas and Daniyal Arshad were said to be active members of the ISIS.

Some 3,400 grammes of explosives, 100-inch safety fuse, five non-electric detonators, three bags and maps have been recovered from them.

The ISIS terror group has claimed responsibility for the killing of two Chinese nationals, including a woman, who were abducted by armed gunmen from Pakistan's restive north-west Balochistan province recently.
READ MORE

Saturday, 3 June 2017

London Bridge terror attack: 20 people injured as van hits pedestrians

London Bridge terror attack

In what Prime Minister Theresa May termed a "potential act of terror", about 20 people were injured as a van reportedly ploughed into pedestrians on London Bridge late Saturday evening. There also were unconfirmed reports of gunfire and stabbing, according to the British media.

The vehicle is reported to have mounted the pavement at the scene, Mirror reported on its website.

"We are dealing with an incident on London Bridge, when we have more information we will update this twitter feed," the Metropolitan police said on its Twitter handle.

Press Trust of India reported that Scotland Yard armed officers had moved into London Bridge area after reports of the incident.

Several people are believed to be injured in what is feared to be a terror attack that took place last evening.

"We are dealing with an incident on #LondonBridge, when we have more information we will update," Metropolitan Police said on Twitter.

Hackney Police said on its Twitter handle: "If you have any footage from tonight, please DON'T share on social media. Upload to us."

Transport for London said the police had closed London Bridge and the area around it due to a major police incident, Xinhua reported.
"London Bridge: The station is closed and trains are non stopping at the request of the police," it said.

According to an eyewitness: "There was a white van driver speeding into several people. It carried on across the pavement around the traffic and towards the Shard area."

Some netizens who had witnessed the incident tweeted that they saw people got injured and the police came to deal with it.
READ MORE